Thursday, March 24, 2011

Loser.

And whoever does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
Matthew 10:38-39


My friend is a loser. He wore a shirt today that said so. LOSER. In big white block letters across the front of his shirt on a black t-shirt. We said hey like we do everyday, but when I saw his shirt I added a funny look. All he did was laugh. He proceeded to take of his backpack and explain to me by turning around. On the back of his shirt, in small white letters was a sentence, a verse to be exact. The verse above.
I am a loser. Jesus asks us in different ways and forms to follow him. At church, at school, driving along on the road, running along a path. He gives us small glimpses of true beauty in nature and in the personalities of people, asking us to follow in his steps. To often, however, we are distracted by these beauty's and choose to "not take up his cross and follow." We allow him to suffer alone, without helping. By doing so we ourselves may suffer.
We are losers. After reading the verse, the shirt made sense. It suited it purpose: to catch my attention and spread the word of God. Sometimes though, t-shirts like this show us up. We to often forget of our own purpose: to pay attention to what He is saying and spread his word.
Are you a loser?


Verse "Spark Notes"
[38] The first mention of the cross in Matthew, explicitly that of the disciple, but implicitly that of Jesus (and follow after me).
[39] One who denies Jesus in order to save one's earthly life will be condemned to everlasting destruction; loss of earthly life for Jesus' sake will be rewarded by everlasting life in the kingdom. (USCCB)


[Want to see the shirt? Click here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment